"This will be an unusual experience eating roast chicken like this if youre used to traditional roast chook, but it will be yummy and a nice change!" Dani Venn
The ingredient of Christmas spiced Chinese roast chicken
- 1 cup long grain rice, rinsed
- 2 lup chong dried sausage or Chinese sausage (see Notes)
- 1/4 cup minced ginger
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp finely chopped spring onion
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 4 star anise
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1.5kg Coles free range whole chicken, removed from fridge 30 minutes before cooking
- 1/4 cup finely diced ginger
- 1/4 cup finely diced garlic
- 2 tbsp spring onion, finely chopped, white part only
- 1/2 tsp Chinese Five Spice powder
- 30g softened butter
- 1/2 cup Black Bean and Garlic stir-fry sauce
The instruction how to make Christmas spiced Chinese roast chicken
- Preheat oven to 240C conventional (220C fan forced).
- To make the rice stuffing, place rinsed rice in a small saucepan, cover rice with approximately 1.5cm of water and place over medium u2013 high heat allowing the water to come to the boil. When water has almost completely evaporated, place sausage on top of rice, reduce heat to low, cover and allow rice to steam for 10 -12 minutes. Remove lid and sausage and allow rice to cool for 5 minutes.
- Slice lup chong into 3mm thin strips on a diagonal. Add lup chong back into the pot of rice, add ginger, garlic, spring onion, soy sauce, sesame oil and mix well to combine. Set aside to cool.
- Gently push your fingers under the skin of the chicken to loosen the skin over the breast and thigh without breaking or piercing the skin.
- Add remaining ginger, garlic, spring onion and five spice powder to a mortar and pestle or small food processor and pound or process to a paste. Alternatively place on chopping board and dice well together until a paste forms.
- Using your fingers place a few teaspoons of paste under the skin of each section of the chicken, start with one drumstick, then one side of the breast, then repeat on the other side of the chicken. Push down on the skin to ensure paste is evenly spread under the skin.
- Fill cavity of chicken with rice stuffing, add star anise and cinnamon stick into the cavity also. Place chicken in roasting pan breast side up. Spread butter over the skin of the chicken.
- Place the chicken into the oven allow skin to crisp up for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 180C and baste chicken with black bean and garlic sauce and pan juices every 15 minutes. Cook chicken for 80 minutes, or until juice runs clear. Once cooked, remove chicken from oven and allow to rest for 15 minutes before carving.
Nutritions of Christmas spiced Chinese roast chickencalories: