This delicious speck and split pea soup has been designed to be cooked in a slow cooker, although instructions are also given for cooking in the oven or stove top.
The ingredient of Speck and split pea soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 3 sticks celery, thinly sliced
- 650g piece smoked speck (see note)
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 4 cups Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 1 cup dried yellow split peas
- 1/4 cup thyme leaves
- crusty bread rolls, to serve
The instruction how to make Speck and split pea soup
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until tender. Spoon into slow cooker.
- Remove rind from speck and discard. Cut speck into 2cm pieces and add to vegetables. Add tomatoes, stock, peas and 2 tablespoons thyme to slow cooker. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 to 3 1/2 hours or until peas are very tender.
- Season with salt and pepper. Ladle into serving bowls. Sprinkle with remaining thyme and serve with crusty bread rolls.
Nutritions of Speck and split pea soupcalories: 419.923 calories
fatContent: 31 grams fat
saturatedFatContent: 11 grams saturated fat
carbohydrateContent: 12 grams carbohydrates
sugarContent: 4 grams sugar
proteinContent: 22 grams protein
cholesterolContent: 65 milligrams cholesterol
sodiumContent: 2656.38 milligrams sodium