This Tuscan-style tomato soup has a hint of chilli for added flavour.
The ingredient of Tuscan tomato & bread soup
- 800g canned whole tomatoes
- 1 long red chilli, seeds removed, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 slices day-old sourdough bread, crusts removed, cubed
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil, plus extra small leaves to serve
The instruction how to make Tuscan tomato & bread soup
- Place tomatoes, chilli, garlic, sugar, 1 tablespoon oil, 1 cup (250ml) water and some salt and pepper in a saucepan and bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the tomatoes break down slightly.
- Meanwhile, place the bread in a bowl and drizzle with the vinegar. Set aside for 10 minutes to soften.
- Add the bread mixture and basil to the soup and stir well to combine. Cover and simmer over low heat for a further 5 minutes or until the soup thickens.
- Using a stick blender, blend the soup until smooth. (Alternatively, cool slightly, puree in ba puree in batches in a blender, then reheat over medium heat.)
- Serve hot, drizzled with remaining oil and garnished with small basil leaves.
Nutritions of Tuscan tomato & bread soupcalories: 173.275 calories
fatContent: 10 grams fat
saturatedFatContent: 2 grams saturated fat
carbohydrateContent: 17 grams carbohydrates
sugarContent: 9 grams sugar
proteinContent: 4 grams protein
sodiumContent: 74.73 milligrams sodium