Spice up your lamb roast with this Chinese twist! Do all the work on the weekend, then give it an hour on the night – serve with your choice of mash or rice.
The ingredient of Chinese-style pot-roasted lamb
- 1.8kg easy-carve leg of lamb, de-boned, rolled
- 1 large orange, rind peeled into 5cm strips, juiced
- 1 lemon, rind peeled into 5cm strips, juiced
- 185ml (3/4 cup) Chinese rice wine
- 185ml (3/4 cup) dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 55g (1/4 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Sichuan peppercorns
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 8 whole cloves
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 3 whole star anise
- 1 garlic bulb, halved
- 500ml (2 cups) water
- Garlic mashed potato or steamed rice, to serve
- Steamed Asian greens, to serve (optional)
The instruction how to make Chinese-style pot-roasted lamb
- Place the lamb in a large flameproof oval casserole dish. Combine the orange rind and juice, lemon rind and juice, rice wine, soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, peppercorns, cinnamon, cloves, fennel seeds, star anise and garlic in a bowl. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Pour over the lamb. Place in the fridge for 8 hours or overnight, turning once, to marinate.
- Preheat oven to 160C/140C fan forced. Pour water into the dish. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Roast, covered, basting every 20 minutes, for 2u00a0hours to 2 hours 30u00a0minutes, until the meat is tender. Roast, uncovered, for a further 1u00a0hour or until browned and liquid has reduced slightly. Set aside in the dish for 30u00a0minutes to rest. Use a spoon to skim the fat from the surface and discard.
- Serve lamb with garlic mashed potato, pan juices and steamed greens, if using.
Nutritions of Chinese-style pot-roasted lambcalories: 847.733 calories
fatContent: 35 grams fat
saturatedFatContent: 15 grams saturated fat
carbohydrateContent: 36 grams carbohydrates
proteinContent: 91 grams protein