This is no ordinary chicken soup - fresh coriander and lime gives it extra tang.
The ingredient of Chicken soup with tortillas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3 ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 Massel chicken style stock cube
- 2L (8 cups) water
- 2 (about 200g each) single chicken breast fillets
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 8 (14cm diameter) corn tortillas
- Olive oil, extra, to shallow-fry
- 1 large ripe avocado, stone removed, peeled, coarsely chopped
- Chopped fresh coriander, to serve
The instruction how to make Chicken soup with tortillas
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, tomato, cumin and cayenne pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, for 6-8 minutes or until the tomato is tender.
- Combine the stock cubes and water in a jug. Add to the tomato mixture and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Add the chicken and cook, covered, for 10 minutes or until the chicken is just cooked though. Use a slotted spoon to transfer chicken to a heatproof bowl. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool. Shred the chicken and return to the saucepan with the lime juice. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Cover and keep warm.
- Stack the tortillas and cut into 1cm-wide strips. Add enough olive oil to a medium saucepan or deep frying pan to reach a depth of about 2cm. Heat over a medium heat. (Use a tortilla strip to test when the oil is ready.) Add one-quarter of the tortilla strips to the oil and cook for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Repeat, in 3 more batches, with the remaining tortillas.
- Ladle the soup among serving bowls. Top with avocado and coriander. Serve with tortilla strips.
Nutritions of Chicken soup with tortillascalories: 584.355 calories
fatContent: 41 grams fat
saturatedFatContent: 7.5 grams saturated fat
carbohydrateContent: 29 grams carbohydrates
proteinContent: 21 grams protein