A delightful, traditional Christmas turkey with an apricot and hazelnut stuffing.
The ingredient of Roast turkey with apricot and hazelnut stuffing
- 4kg whole turkey
- 2 tbsp apricot conserve
- 2 tbsp honey
- Gravy, to serve
- 1/3 cup skinless hazelnuts, chopped
- 100g butter, chopped
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/4 cup fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- 4 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, finely chopped
The instruction how to make Roast turkey with apricot and hazelnut stuffing
- Make Apricot and hazelnut stuffing; Place hazelnuts in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook, tossing occasionally, for 4 minutes or until golden and toasted. Transfer to a large heatproof bowl. Set aside. Melt butter in frying pan over medium heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and sage. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool. Add to hazelnuts. Stir in breadcrumbs and apricots. Season with salt and pepper. Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Remove and discard neck from turkey. Pat dry inside and out with paper towel. Loosely fill neck cavity with stuffing. Using toothpicks, secure skin over neck cavity to enclose stuffing. Fill large cavity with remaining stuffing. Secure skin over cavity with toothpicks. Tie legs together with kitchen string. Tuck wings under turkey.
- Place turkey on a greased wire rack in a large roasting pan. Pour 3 cups water into pan. Place 1/2 the conserve and 1/2 the honey in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH (100%) for 30 seconds or until melted. Brush turkey all over with honey mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Cover pan tightly with lightly greased foil. Roast turkey for 1 hour 20 minutes.
- Place remaining conserve and honey in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH (100%) for 30 seconds or until melted. Remove and discard foil from turkey. Roast for a further 1 hour 40 minutes, basting every 20 minutes with honey mixture, or until turkey is golden and juices run clear when thigh is pierced with a skewer (see note). Cover with foil. Stand for 15 minutes.
- Remove and discard string and toothpicks from turkey. Transfer to a platter. Serve with stuffing and gravy.
Nutritions of Roast turkey with apricot and hazelnut stuffingcalories: 545.159 calories
fatContent: 22.8 grams fat
saturatedFatContent: 8.6 grams saturated fat
carbohydrateContent: 32.2 grams carbohydrates
proteinContent: 48.7 grams protein
cholesterolContent: 159 milligrams cholesterol
sodiumContent: 880 milligrams sodium