This French onion soup is surprisingly easy to make and tastes a lot better than the packet version.
The ingredient of French onion soup
- 80g butter
- 4 large brown onions, sliced crossways into rings
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons plain flour
- 1.5L (6 cups) Massel beef style liquid stock
- 125ml (1/2 cup) dry red wine
- 1 bouquet garni sachet
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 30cm baguette (French stick), cut crossways into 12 slices
- 55g (1 cup) finely shredded gruyere cheese
The instruction how to make French onion soup
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic, and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until the onions are soft and light golden. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until flour bubbles and comes away from the side of the pan. Add the stock, wine and bouquet garni. Bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until soup thickens slightly. Remove bouquet garni. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat grill on high. Place baguette slices on a baking tray. Place under preheated grill (about 5cm away from the heat source) and cook for 2 minutes each side or until light golden. Remove from grill and sprinkle each slice evenly with the cheese. Place under grill and cook for a further 2 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- To serve, ladle soup into serving bowls and top with the baguette slices.
Nutritions of French onion soupcalories: 273.416 calories
fatContent: 15 grams fat
saturatedFatContent: 9 grams saturated fat
carbohydrateContent: 20 grams carbohydrates
sugarContent: 7 grams sugar
proteinContent: 10 grams protein
cholesterolContent: 38 milligrams cholesterol
sodiumContent: 1128.51 milligrams sodium