Looking for the perfect way to roast a chook? Try this delicious and easy version.
The ingredient of Roast chicken with bacon and sage stuffing
- 2kg whole chicken
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 750g chat potatoes, halved
- 4 carrots, peeled, cut into 3cm lengths
- 500g brown pickling onions, peeled
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 3/4 cups Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 middle bacon rashers, trimmed, finely chopped
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp thinly sliced fresh sage leaves
The instruction how to make Roast chicken with bacon and sage stuffing
- Make Bacon and sage stuffing Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and bacon. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until golden. Remove from heat. Cool for 10 minutes. Stir in mustard, breadcrumbs, egg and sage. Season with pepper.
- Preheat oven to 200u00b0C/180u00b0C fan-forced. Place chicken on a board. Spoon stuffing into cavity. Secure with a toothpick to enclose filling. Tie legs together with string to secure. Place chicken in a flameproof roasting pan. Drizzle with oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast chicken for 30 minutes. Reduce temperature to 180u00b0C/160u00b0C fan-forced. Roast for 30 minutes. Add potato, carrot and onion to pan. Roast for 1 hour, turning vegetables halfway during cooking, or until juices run clear when thigh is pierced with a skewer (cover chicken loosely with foil if over-browning during cooking).
- Transfer chicken and vegetables to a plate. Cover to keep warm.
- Skim fat from pan, reserving 2 tablespoons plus any pan juices. Place pan on stove-top over medium heat. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until mixture is bubbling. Add wine. Simmer for 1 minute or until reduced by half. Gradually stir in stock. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens. Transfer to a heatproof jug. Serve chicken with vegetables and gravy.
Nutritions of Roast chicken with bacon and sage stuffingcalories: 668.483 calories
fatContent: 20 grams fat
saturatedFatContent: 5 grams saturated fat
carbohydrateContent: 43 grams carbohydrates
sugarContent: 15 grams sugar
proteinContent: 73 grams protein
cholesterolContent: 261 milligrams cholesterol
sodiumContent: 1500.87 milligrams sodium