Super-duper slow-cooked roast chicken for a special occasion or dinner party.
The ingredient of Slow-roasted lemon and paprika chicken
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 sprigs fresh lemon thyme
- 3 sprigs fresh oregano
- 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled, bruised (see Notes)
- 1.6kg whole chicken
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 cup Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
The instruction how to make Slow-roasted lemon and paprika chicken
- Preheat oven to 140C/120C fan-forced.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon oil over the base of a large flameproof roasting pan. Place thyme and oregano in centre of pan. Place garlic (in skin) on herbs.
- Rinse chicken (including cavity) under cold water. Pat dry with paper towel. Place on a board. Season cavity with salt and pepper. Fill with 1/2 the lemon wedges. Tie legs together with kitchen string to secure. Brush chicken all over with remaining oil. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle all over with paprika. Place, breast-side up, on herbs in roasting pan. Place remaining lemon wedges in roasting pan.
- Roast, basting every hour with pan juices, for 2 hours 45 minutes or until juices run clear when chicken thigh is pierced with a skewer. Increase heat to 200C/180C fan-forced. Cook chicken for a further 15 minutes or until skin is crispy. Transfer chicken to a plate. Remove and discard herbs. Reserve caramelised garlic. Cover chicken loosely with foil. Set aside for 10 minutes to rest.
- Meanwhile, strain juices from roasting pan into a small jug. Skim fat from pan juices, returning 1 tablespoon to roasting pan. Discard remaining fat. Place pan over high heat. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes or until bubbling and golden. Combine stock, wine and reserved pan juices in a jug. Slowly add mixture to pan, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring, for 4 to 5 minutes or until mixture simmers and thickens slightly. Serve chicken with gravy, roasted pumpkin, baby carrots and caramelised garlic.
Nutritions of Slow-roasted lemon and paprika chickencalories: 584.833 calories
fatContent: 38.3 grams fat
saturatedFatContent: 10.2 grams saturated fat
carbohydrateContent: 7.9 grams carbohydrates
proteinContent: 48.6 grams protein
cholesterolContent: 225 milligrams cholesterol
sodiumContent: 540 milligrams sodium