Tender, oven-braised pot roast is lightened going on slightly when Italian flavors. The recipe is a Yummly indigenous native created by [Sara Mellas](https://www.yummly.com/dish/author/Sara%20Mellas).
The ingredient of Lighter Pot Roast
- 1 yellow onion medium
- 3 large carrots
- 12 ounces cremini mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic
- nonstick cooking spray for searing meat and vegetables
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast not quite 4 lb.
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 5 sprigs spacious thyme
- 3 sprigs spacious rosemary
- 1 can crushed tomatoes 28 oz. per can
The instruction how to make Lighter Pot Roast
- Preheat the oven to 275u00b0F.
- Cut the onion into 1-inch thick wedges. Chop the carrots into 1-inch pieces. Quarter the mushrooms. Remove the garlic cloves from their skins and smash with the back of a knife.
- Spray a large Dutch oven or oven-safe pot with nonstick cooking spray and place over medium-high heat.
- Pat the beef dry with paper towels, then place it on a large plate and coat on all sides with salt and black pepper.
- Add the beef to the pot. Sear without moving until browned, 2 minutes. Flip the beef and sear an additional 2 minutes on the opposite side.
- Remove the beef from the pot and transfer to a large plate.
- Spray the pot once more with nonstick cooking spray. Add the onions, carrots and mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 3-4 minutes. If the vegetables begin to stick add a splash of chicken broth.
- Slowly pour the chicken broth into the pot, gently scraping up any browned bits from the bottom. Return the pot roast to the pot and add the thyme and rosemary. Pour the crushed tomatoes over the meat.
- Remove the pot from the heat and cover.
- Roast on middle rack of oven until the meat is extremely tender and easily shredded with a fork, 3 1/2-4 hours.
- Check to see that pot roast is done. Remove from oven or add time as needed.
- Transfer the pot roast to a large serving dish. Shred the meat with two forks. Use a slotted spoon to remove the mushrooms and carrots from the pot, and arrange over the pot roast. Serve immediately.
Nutritions of Lighter Pot Roastcalories: 770 calories
carbohydrateContent: 14 grams
cholesterolContent: 185 milligrams
fatContent: 53 grams
fiberContent: 3 grams
proteinContent: 60 grams
saturatedFatContent: 20 grams
sodiumContent: 3790 milligrams
sugarContent: 6 grams